Fleetwood Mac have been announced as the first headline act of Isle of Wight 2015.
The band’s set at Seaclose Park will be their only festival show of the year.
The set on Sunday 14 June, which will close the festival, will include original member Christine McVie, who recently confirmed that she would be rejoining the band.
Festival organiser John Giddings told Newsbeat: “It’s the best news I’ve had in a long while.”
He said that he had been asking the band to perform at the Isle of Wight for the last seven years.
“Every year I have asked without fail,” he revealed. “I’d like to tell you otherwise but it’s true, I have begged them.”
Previous acts to headline Isle of Wight Festival include The Who, the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney.
Despite his years of asking the band to perform, John Giddings explained that he thought Fleetwood Mac, whose debut album Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac went to number four in the UK in 1968, didn’t need much persuading.
He said: “If you’re a band of substance, it [Isle of Wight] becomes part of your bucket list really.”
The organiser added that the other two headline acts of the festival would be announced soon.
Giddings agreed younger bands have the ability to sell festival tickets as well as older bands like Fleetwood Mac and Lionel Ritchie, who has been named as the first act on the Glastonbury 2015 line-up.
He said: “I think younger bands of course can do it as well, but the golden age of rock and roll is past.
“The music is different now whereby you can download individual songs on iTunes and it becomes hard to name the lead singer of Bastille or Imagine Dragons.”
Tickets go on sale on Friday at 09:00 GMT