December 4, 2012 9:01
Band confirm US dates – and say there’s European shows in the pipeline, too
Fleetwood Mac have announced the first leg of their planned 2013 reunion world tour.
The much-revered band have confirmed a large run of US shows to take place from April to June next year, and also told Rolling Stone that they plan on playing a spate of European festivals and shows too.
Speaking about the dates, singer Stevie Nicks said:
It’s the perfect time to go back out. 2013 is going to be the year of Fleetwood Mac.
John Mcvie and Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac perform at Madison Square Garden, Thursday, March 19, 2009, in New York. (AP Photo/Charles Sykes)
Nicks also teased that fans would be treated to new songs at the shows, revealing: “We actually have two new Fleetwood Mac songs that I cut with Lindsey two weeks ago we might play. I had a really good time working with him for four days at his house. I got to hang out with his family and his kids, his grown up kids, and really connect with him again. We’re pretty proud of what we have done, and we’re looking at it through the eyes of wisdom now, instead of through the eyes of jealousy and resentment and anger.
Discussing the prospect of playing European shows, meanwhile, she said: “If everything goes will we’ll be in Europe doing festivals this summer. Then we’ll actually tour Europe, which is different than just doing festivals. Then we might do 15 or so shows in Australia.”
Her comments could spark renewed speculation that the band are set to headline Glastonbury when the festival returns in 2013. When previously asked about the rumours, festival boss Emily Eavis said: “I think Fleetwood Mac would be amazing to get, I’ll be totally honest we haven’t had any conversations with them yet but, you know, it is still early days. We’re just talking to some headliners now. For us it’s about getting the balance of heritage bands, legends and new bands – just keeping that balance.”
Guitarist Lindsey Buckingham also provided some insight as to what fans could expect from the gigs. “We always have to play ‘Dreams,’ ‘Rhiannon,’ ‘Don’t Stop,’ ‘Tusk,’ ‘Big Love,’ ‘Landslide’ and all our most famous songs,” he said. “When you’ve gone through all your must-do’s, that’s 75% of your potential setlist. I think with the other 25 per cent, there are areas of our catalog that are more under-explored. Maybe we’ll play more songs from ‘Tusk’. I’d also like to see an extended middle portion of the show that’s just me and Stevie. This is just me talking from the top of my head. For now, I have no particular vision of what this tour is going to be.” Continue reading